Peter M. Walzer
Peter M. Walzer is the founding partner of the Southern California law firm Walzer Melcher LLP, a practice focused exclusively on family law with offices in Woodland Hills. He served as president of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (2018-2019), an organization consisting of 1650 preeminent family lawyers in the United States. He is the past chair of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Family Law Section, a past president of the Southern California Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and former chair of the executive committee of the State Bar Family Law Section.
Peter has been a Certified Family Law Specialist for 31 years and is a former president of the Association of Certified Family Law Specialists. He is a former member of the Council of the American Bar Association Family Law Section. He was a member of the Elkins Family Law Task Force, a statewide panel whose charge is to propose measures to improve efficiency and fairness in family law proceedings and ensure access to justice for family law litigants.
Peter was named Family Law Person of the Year in 2009 by the Southern California Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and Fellow of the Year by American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers in 2010. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America and is AV rated by Martindale-Hubble. Peter received the Southwestern Law School Max A. Goodman Family Law Legacy Award on June 10, 2017. Chambers and Partners High Net Worth Guide Publication named him a “Leader in Their Field” and ranked him in Band 1 for their 2018-2019 High Net Worth Guide for Family Law.
Peter’s articles have been featured in various publications, including Los Angeles Lawyer, ABA Family Advocate, California Lawyer, LACBA News and Review, and State Bar Family Law Section Family Law News. He has written chapters in two books for California Continuing Education of the Bar. He lectures regularly for the State Bar, UCLA, CEB, ACFLS, AAML, and various other organizations.
Southwestern University School of Law
B.A. in History/English
University of California, Los Angeles
Awards & Accolades
- Super Lawyers “Super Lawyers,” 2005-Present
- Best Lawyers, 2007-Present
- Chambers and Partners, Tier 1 Ranked Attorney, 2018-Present
Professional Memberships & Associations
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- President, 2018-2019
- President-Elect, 2017-2018
- Vice-President, 2012- 2018
- Los Angeles County Bar Family Law Section, Chair, 2015-2016
- American Bar Association Family Law Section, Continuing Legal Education Committee, Co-Chair, 2012-2013
- International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - U.S. Chapter, Vice President, 2010-2012
- Elkins Family Law Task Force, 2008
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Southern California Chapter, Board of Directors, 2010-2011
- International Academy of Family Lawyers, Fellow
Walzer Melcher LLP
Woodland Hills, CA