Gregory W. Herring
Greg is certified as a Family Law Specialist by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (aaml.org; socal.aaml.org) and of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (iaml.org). The AAML’s Southern California Chapter named him Family Law Person of the Year in 2018. He has the highest possible ratings for both skill and ethics, “AV Preeminent,” from Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings. He has been annually listed as a Southern California “Superlawyer” since 2007 and one of “Southern California’s Best Lawyers” since 2008.
With his broad litigation background in state, federal, bankruptcy and appellate courts, Greg routinely handles and consults regarding complex business, property, income, custody/parenting and other issues in the family law environment.
He regularly writes about family law and teaches it across the state. His articles and blogs are at theherringlawgroup.com. Greg routinely serves on family law panels with various experts and judicial officers. He has been retained as an expert in multiple family law professional standards cases in different counties.
Out of the office and courtroom, Greg is a family man with outdoor interests including beekeeping, fly fishing and surfing. He is the proprietor of Herring Beer Farm, where he grows hops and brews a variety
of ales. Stories about his work/life balance have been featured in the Los Angeles Times and Coastal Living magazine.
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
B.A. in Political Science
University of California, Davis
Awards & Accolades
- Santa Barbara Women Lawyers, “Female Friendly Law Firm” Award (inaugural annual award), 2019
- Casa Serena of Santa Barbara, “Leadership in Excellence” Award, 2019
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Southern California Chapter, “Family Law Person of the Year” Award, 2018
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated℠ by Martindale-Hubbell, 2008-Present
- Southern California “Super Lawyer”, 2007-Present
- “Top 100” Southern California Lawyers, 2007
Professional Memberships & Associations
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Southern California Chapter, Fellow, 2005-Present
- President, 2013-2014
- Board Member, 2009-2016, 2019-Present
- Dean of the Chapter’s annual Trial Basics Seminar, 2014-Present
- Dean of the Chapter’s Institutes of Family Law Trial Advocacy, 2010, 2023
- California Association of Certified Family Law Specialists, Member, 2004-Present
- Member of Appellate Amicus Committee, 2020-Present
- International Academy of Family Lawyers, Fellow, 2010-Present
- Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California, Certified Specialist in Family Law, 2004-Present
- California, Santa Barbara, Ventura, San Luis Obispo and Los Angeles County Bar Associations, Member
- Executive Committee of the Family Law Section of the California State Bar (“FLEXCOM”), Chair, Vice Chair, Advisor and Member, 2000-2005
- California State Bar’s family law periodical, Family Law News, Editor and Assistant Editor, 2001-2003
- Ventura County Bar Association’s periodical, Family Law Editor
Herring Law Group
Santa Barbara, CA